Although there are a growing number of touch points in the B2B network, such as social networks, blogs and press releases, one touch point that remains critical is B2B Email Marketing. B2B marketers still view emails as the most personal tool in generating and nurturing leads, and building brands.
According to eMarketer, there will be approximately 236 million U.S. email users b y 2017. This reality underscores the importance of a solid B2B Email Marketing strategy today and in the future. However, there are several common mistakes marketers make when it comes to email marketing.
B2B Email Marketing: 10 Common Mistakes
- Targeting the Wrong Audience. Haphazardly contacting the person in the highest position because you think she is the final decision maker is risky. You may overlook the person who is more likely to respond. It’s critical to take a systematic approach to identifying your target audience. An A/B split is useful in learning which audience is best for your email campaign.
- Subject Line Is Too Long. When emails are checked via mobile devices, the standard 40-character limit subject line is shortened. An effective email is short, attention grabbing and inspires the reader to open the email.
- Too Much Copy. Emails need to be short, but include the most important information. Be sure to include three points early on: differentiation, key benefits to the customer and how to respond. Additional content needs to enforce why your reader should contact you.
- Weak Landing Page. A strong landing page reinforces the customer’s decision to respond, provides continuity from the original email and convinces them to fill out a response. Don’t oversell on your landing page.
- Using Cheap Lists. The list can make or break the success of your campaign. It helps to have multiple lists with different URLs in order to determine whether it was the list that caused a bad campaign or another issue.
- Forgetting Business Schedules. In B2B, most of your clients will be in the office from approximately 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays. This helps you strategize the most effective time to deliver your emails to audience inboxes.
- Neglecting to Test The Project Before Execution. To achieve optimal results from your campaign, it’s important to test subject lines, images and copy. Use A/B testing to ensure your messages are reaching the right people.
- Only Paying Attention to Click-Through Rates. When you only measure standard metrics, you miss information like the pages prospects visited on your website, how often they visited the page and bounce rates.
- Not Analyzing Results. If clients are opening your email but not following through, there may be an underlying issue. It’s important to try to identify the issue and resolve it for future campaigns.
- Failing to Maintain Connections with Prospects. Use check-in emails to build a relationship with clients. It shows genuine interest, builds communication and may lead to feedback that can be used to improve future campaigns.
It’s important to make sure the content you’re sending through B2B Email Marketing campaigns is offering value to all of your customers. It doesn’t matter what you’re selling to them if they’re not interested. Gauge what they want—studies, marketing news, tips—and show them how you can help by directing them to your website.
If you need help connecting with your B2B Email Marketing, SeodaPop can help build a unique Email Marketing program that will generate leads and strengthen customer relationships. Call us today at (800) 277-9389